Saturday, May 9, 2009

Viva Huntsvegas

Well, my spring 2009 semester has come and gone. I'm not sure what to expect on the grades front, but grad school grades don't matter, right? I guess I'll find out in the next few days. The statistics final was kinda tough, but not as bad as it could have been. That having been said, I slept three hours last night, drove for five today, and it's now almost 2 in the morning (central time) and I'm wide awake. What's up with that?!

Anyway, as a reward for finishing up my semester, I'm spending the next several days in Huntsville, the town I grew up in (The town in which I grew up....er....the town, up in which I grew? Whatever. Insert "preposition" scene from Beavis and Butt-head Do America.). Our house is undergoing some major renovations so that it can get on the market soon, so my bathroom is out of order. If I want to take a shower, I have to go down two flights of stairs to the basement. That's not going to be a hassle through Wednesday, not at all! At least I can use the toilet. Not sure what kind of trouble I'll get into these few days, but Mother's Day is on Sunday, and I told Mom I'd take her out to a nice dinner and a movie afterward (since I make money now!).

Also, Tuesday is my 25th birthday (barf). It's amazing how from year to year I get less and less excited about my birthday. When I was around four or five years old living in Charleston, WV, I actually remember having like a 100-day countdown to my birthday. It was a big deal. When I was in my elementary school years, I used to itemize everything I wanted, from the newest video game to legos to even a typewriter (okay, so that was Christmas; sue me). Now, I'm just looking at what I need as far as birthday presents. I'm honestly hoping to get a new duffle bag, because the one I've been using for the past ten years is falling apart. Imagine my joy, when I open a present on Tuesday, look inside, and scream "Yes! Luggage!" Cooooooool.

I bought myself a little "birthday" present (hell, I guess it was just an "I need new t-shirts" present), too. I'll be stylin' and profilin' rocking this bad boy around. Check out this retro Montreal Expos tee!



I also have already gotten one of my actual presents from somebody in the mail, a new iPod shuffle from my younger brother. Yes, I'm the last person in America to get an iPod, but before I started working in the lab and trying to get some exercise, I really saw no use for having one. I have all of my music on my computer, and when I'm driving, I'll be listening to XM or CDs. I don't take public transportation or travel by air much, so really it would have been a waste. Now, I'm using it all the time. I've got my "Chill Out" mix for work or just -- go figure -- chilling out, my "Rock Out" mix for when I'm working out or in an angry mood, and all the rest of my music at my disposal. The only complaint I have about this gadget is that I can't select the next song that will play; since there isn't a screen display, I can only make the iPod choose a random song from the playlist. The thing is about the size of my pinky finger, and aside from the earphones hurting my ears, the sound quality is incredible. When I got home tonight, I showed Mom and had her listen to the various features. I said, "I hope nothing embarrassing comes on." She was bobbing her head to the music, then she made kind of a funny face. When she gave it back to me, I put in the earphones, and found out the random song she chose was this nice little ditty (Warning: The song is vulgar and inappropriate for anyone who's younger than 13, older than 30, anyone with little kids nearby, a boss nearby, etc. You've been warned.)

If you'd like to see a demo of how this little baby works, check it out below:



Lastly, I'd like to give a little preview of my next top 5 installment. I said in my first post that I'd opine about a number of things, and the first thing on the list was sports. All I've given as far as sports info goes are some pictures of the Hawks game (Aside: Before the Hawks/Cavs series started, I thought the Hawks would make it an interesting 6- or 7-game series. After having watched most of the first two games, I say they'll be lucky to make it back to Cleveland. This LeBron fella is pretty good, have you heard of him?); not that that wasn't great or anything, but maybe something with a little more substance would be nice. So the next top 5 will either be my top 5 favorite Auburn football games or my top 5 favorite sports moments. I haven't decided, but both of those top 5's will make an appearance in the near future.

Have a great weekend.

No comments: